Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Conference

Well I can honestly say now that I have been to a conference based on inclusion. Gilbert and I were able to attend while my great sis watched all 3 boys. Thanks again sis!!!!

I loved it. We first listened to Sara, a self advocate who is building herself an inclusive life as an adult. She was wonderful to listen too. We didn't catch her age, but she graduated with a diploma in 1994. She is originally from Grand Rapids Michigan and now is living in Benzonia Michigan. She lives alone, and she purchased her home. She has a job and lots of friends and supporters. She works 30 hours per week, she told us how she didn't like math and was not very good at it, but now she is doing better and can balance her checkbook. She has a pet cat that lives with her and said "NO she does not want a roomate."

The second speaker I just adored. Her name was Cynthia and she is from Oakland Michigan. Her son Jordan graduated in 2008 from Rochester High with a diploma and is now in Oakland Comm. College. And we got to hear from her pretty much her short version life with Jordan and the school system. I learned alot from her. Two of my new words are:Acquisition of Knowledge, and Modification. I love these 2 sayings and will definitely put them to good use.

I am very glad that Gilbert and I had the opportunity to go and I will definitely make sure that I go to more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment