Saturday, November 26, 2011

Alot to think about

Jonathon has been taking swim lessons every Monday evening since August 2011.  He has only missed a few Mondays because of him being sick once and then Andrew was sick and then teacher cancelled a couple of times for different reasons.

Now 2 weeks ago when he went swimming, he didn't have a nap that day.  I was worried he would be grumpy and I was correct.  He pulled the teachers glasses off and tried to throw them.  He decided to pull his ear plugs out of his ears.....figuring "I'll teach her, I will pull these out and then I can't swim"  He is very smart, but that didn't work, we just dried them and continued on.  He really enjoys swimming and Miss Maggie is great with him.

Now when we go at 5p.m. he is usually in the water by 5:10p.m. and he swims until about 5:45p.m.  The last time when he was getting out he was screaming, more than usual.....he always cries when he is done, because he doesn't want to be done, but this was different.  So at first I thought that he got water in his ears...but he didn't and then when I took him into locker room his back was really really red........

I dressed him and took him home.  The redness went away so I figured it was just chlorine, but it was ok.

Last week we didn't go, because Andrew was sick.  On Tuesday I noticed a rash on Jonathon.  On Wednesday it was all over his back and part of his front.  I called the dr.  They told me to give Benedryl and call back on friday if not better.  In the meantime I thought allergic reaction and what did I do different.  I bought a bounce dryer bar.  I bought Winnie the Pooh lotion.  Ok, lets throw the bounce bar out and rewash all the laundry.  And stop using lotion.  And give Benedryl.

On friday, a little better, but not better.  Took him into doctors.  As doctor was walking into the room to look at him it hit me.....and I said "Jonathon swims every Monday, I think this is rash from chlorine."  Doc says "yes it is"  to much chlorine.  (DANG IT).

He told me to make sure I wash him with soap and water when he gets out of pool.  And not too swim as long, but that he can still swim.  Put Eucerin on him.  Good to go.

So here is the deal.  Do I let Jonathon continue to swim?  He still has the rash....it looks alot better after I got the lotion on him, but do I want to put him through that anymore?  Is he going to cooperate with me to hurry and get in shower and was off?  This I already know is NOT going to happen.  He is going to scream his little head off.  Do I just cancel the rest of winter and hope summer will be better?
I hate that I have to make this decision....my son loves to swim..he loves the water and we were hoping that by spring he would be a full swimmer.  i am pissed.  I just want him to be able to spend time in the water.  We could go back to the Ymca, but he was too cold last winter and we quit and Miss Maggie is no longer there.  She is back at new swim place which is where the problem is.

I believe that I am burning him by letting him swim.  I noticed it the last time he got out of the water.(red back and crying).  I believe I already have my answer by just writing down my thoughts.

Is there anyone else that has had this problem?  Any input would be great.

Deep down.....I think swimming is done for now......Jonathon may be sad.....but he won't hurt......

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment