I received a phone message from Jonathon's teacher Friday evening. First day of school is September 22nd. Time is 11:15a.m. til 12:15p.m. 1/2 hour with teacher and 1/2 hour with speech teacher(same as last year).
Teacher also explained in my phone message that he will have school on Thursday September 24th with his O.T. Amanda and P.T. Annette. Time will be 10:30a.m. til 11:30a.m. Now on his first day back with O.T. and P.T. they will be doing an assessment and deciding if Jonathon will continue with them this school year or they will be releasing him and I can keep in contact with them both and go back to them if needed. O.K. I have mixed feelings on this. Yes, Hooray!!!! My goal all along has been for Jonathon to be able to mainstream in public school. Goal....not even comprehending that it could be preschool when he actually starts mainstream. I believe this is every mothers dream. I am also nervous......should I allow them to stop their services with Jonathon?
I spoke my concerns with my original P.T. Jen over the summer. (Jonathon was able to work with her for 3 weeks, once per week) Which Jen says Jonathon is doing wonderful and I should be proud....which I am. (very proud). She also told me to just make sure I state it correctly that I want to be able to contact them anytime for them to see Jonathon again if I feel it's needed.
Do I think he needs O.T. services anymore? If I compare Jonathon to my older boys(yes I am comparing) no, I do not think he needs O.T. He is doing everything and more of the same as them at this age.
Do I think he needs P.T. services anymore? This one I am not so sure on. Yes he is walking. Walking great. Not running yet. He can climb stairs up and down with my help. Not on his own yet. We are working on jumping. He is very strong and is able to stand up in the middle of the room without using his arms,hands for support anymore. When we go shopping I still usually carry him into the store, he gets distracted very easily and it's just time consuming to let him walk sometimes. Plus its weird, because Andrew and Kenny were able to go up and down the stairs on their butts at this age, but being that Jonathon has down syndrome he isn't allowed. He is supposed to do it the big boy(adult way). Sometimes I feel that they push our children with special needs way too far too fast and don't let them just be "kids" "toddlers".
So I am a little nervous about next week. I also know deep down that when the time comes I will know what to do and how to handle it. I just hate waiting and thinking........ I think I will make sure my social worker is there that day with me.
I'm pushing Aiden's services as long as I can.
ReplyDelete