On a business call this afternoon ~ person on the other end asked me how many children I had ~ I said 3. 15, 13, and 3 ~ my 3yr. old has Down Syndrome............
Person on the other end says "Oh I am so sorry"
I then replied "Don't be....I'm not....my son is healthy...he has been potty trained since he was 1 1/2 yrs old.....he is in preschool 4 days a week....he is doing awesome!" Person then replied "oh that's good"
I come across people all the time that use the word retard, sometimes I am not a good advocate for my son and I say nothing......Sometimes I try to explain and they in return say oh we don't mean him, there isn't anything wrong with him.....but I don't think they really understand what they are doing wrong. I have told these people that I actually come in contact with alot that this year they will learn all about it!!! Stop the R word
I can't believe how many people in this world do not have a clue about Down Syndrome! Why do people think it's a death sentence? The only concern I had when the inconsiderate Dr. told me that my son had Down Syndrome was OMG is he going to die!!!! NOT oh great what did we do!!!!! I love my son and have loved him from the moment I laid my eyes upon him, just like I love my older boys! AND they all get treated equally.
We are involved in our county ~ We go to our monthly support meetings(well as often as we are able) ~ we participate in the St. Clair County Down Syndrome Support Group Buddy Walk(2 yrs now) and won Grand Marshall both years. This year we raised $3,341.00 and we are very proud! But more information needs to get out there.
I don't want to hear I AM SORRY because my son has Down Syndrome!
I am HAPPY! Jonathon would not be Jonathon without his extra chromosome ~ I would not change 1 single thing about him!
No comments:
Post a Comment