Monday, October 1, 2012

31 for 21 Down Syndrome Awareness Month

Well our county was a little ahead of schedule this year and we already walked last Saturday.  Our team raised $1,941.00 for St. Clair County Down Syndrome Group.

Jonathon started back to school in September.  He is continuing with his ECDD class and then he is mainstreamed the second half of the day in young 5's.

As we were walking through school last Thursday, I walked behind and watched.  I was/am so proud to be his mom.  I swear EVERYONE knows my son.  All you hear down the hall is "Hi Jonathon", "Hey Jonathon"  and some of the kids will say to me "Are you Jonathon's mom?"  " He is my friend".  My son knows alot of people.  From teachers to class room aides, to kitchen help, to principal and lots of kids.

I hope and pray that this never changes.  I hope that Jonathon is always treated equal.  I hope Jonathon is never bullied.

I am going to leave you with one known fact. Down Syndrome occurs when an individual has a full or partial extra copy of chromosome 21. This additonal genetic material alters the course of development and causes the characteristics associated with Down Syndrome.http://www.ndss.org/Down-Syndrome/Down-Syndrome-Facts/



    No comments:

    Post a Comment