Back in January 09 Jonathon had his first hearing test and he failed.
He passed in the booth 100%. . (booth testing- wide range of things can be done in the booth depending on the age and cooperation of the child. for our kids at a young age behavioral testing as described above is the best thing, it can give some side (ear) specific information but does really give you an idea on the degree of hearing loss or if it is a conductive or nerve loss. As a child gets older the booth is used with headphones and a bone stimulator (buzzing thing placed behind the ear). this is the best. it gives specific information on specific frequencies, and the type of hearing loss as well as the degree of hearing loss. this information is crtitical for programming a hearing aid ( if you have to go that route))
but with the tympanogram he failed. Came back that he has fluid in his right ear.
(tympanogram- this is not actually a hearing test but is done by the audiologist. a puff of air is applied into the ear canal under seal, the pressure tracing monitors how well the ear drum moves and helps gives a an idea of what is going on in the middle ear space (ie fluid build up, negative pressure) downs kids are prone to these things because of a higher rate of eustachian tube dysfunction ( tube that runs from the throat to the middle ear) these kids can be hard to test though because of congenitally narrow ear canals. there are some things that can be done with tympanograms in response to an auditory stimuli where you look at how the middle ear muscles and bones pull on the ear drum, but that is really a fine point and not looked at that often)
So we went to the pediatrician and it was confirmed that he had fluid in his right ear. From Dec 6th thru Dec 29th he was pretty sick and we were hoping it was just from that. So he was put on Clairitin for 30 days , then we would go for a recheck and then another hearing test and hopefully he would pass.
So after 30 days we went back to Dr. Pediatrician and had a recheck on his ears. Dr. Pediatrician still seen fluid. And Jonathon had his first ear infection. Instead of going back to local audiologist for another test we were scheduled to see an ENT.
When we finally got in to see the ENT, Jonathon was over his ear infection, but had another sinus infection(4th one since Sept 08). Dr. ENT looked him over and sent us for a tympanogram test. The tympanogram showed fluid in both ears. Good thing was that it was a better result than the one taken in January. So the test showed Jonathon was getting better. Dr. ENT decided that we would 2 months and retest. In the meantime he put Jonathon on fluticasone(nose spray)once a day. Hopefully this would help with the sinus infections.
As of March 16th I had Jonathon healthy once again. He was doing great and then last week Wednesday I starting noticing a difference in him. His breathing seemed different. I just monitored him. By Thursday night he was snoring again and when he woke up Friday morning he had a snotty nose. I sucked him out hoping it was allergies. No such luck. It was yellow and he seemed congested.
Made a call in to see Dr. Pediatrician. And I was correct. Dr. Pediatrician confirmed sinus infection and put Jonathon on amoxicillin. Saturday late afternoon Jonathon started coughing some. (When he starts coughing we are to get an appointment with Dr. Pediatrician to make sure he is not wheezing)I didn't want to take Jonathon to the E.R. so we just monitored him.
On Monday morning I had to take both big brothers to Dr. Pediatrician.(complaints of sore throat/strept). Found out that neither one had strept. They could return to school. I had Dr. Pediatrician take a quick listen to Jonathon since we were there.
Uh Oh! He was wheezing!!!(I of course felt horrible). He was immediately prescribed Albuterol for his nebulizer. He is back on his nebulizer 3x day for 5 days to help the wheezing.
Monday afternoon Jonathon had a recheck appointment with Dr. ENT. Gilbert was supposed to meet us there, but he called me at lunchtime to say that he was sick. I told him to forget it and just stay at work and go home, that I would take Andrew with me instead. So that is what I did.
We arrived early and actually got taken right back. Dr. ENT came right in. I explained what has been going on lately with Jonathon.(sinus infection again and back on albuterol for wheezing). He took a look at him and said that he had some wax build up. Needed to be cleaned up. Personal opinion~not very kid friendly at all. Made Jonathon scream AND I mean scream his head off. Would not take time with him at all. Actually poked his little ear and made him bleed. I was soooo glad when that was over, and I was mad. Dr. Pediatrician cleans Jonathon's ears ALL the time AND has NEVER once made Jonathon cry. 1st mark against you Dr! Got that done. He then sent us down the hall to get another tympanogram done. Still fluid in his ears. It is getting better, but is not better.
Then we wait for Dr. ENT to come and get us.....
So this is what he tells me: He still has fluid in both ears. We could put tubes in his ears and while we are in there take his adnoids out. Not saying it will help with the sinus infections. But we could do it or we can wait a couple more months and see what happens...... Ok, now I am in a fog...."Are you saying that Jonathon needs tubes in his ears and you will take out his adnoids while you are in there? Yes says Dr. ENT. "You want me to answer you today if I want Jonathon to have this surgery, when my husband is not here?" No No Dr. ENT says, you can wait and let me know. Do you have any questions?
Yes I am concerned about the fluid in his ears. This started in January and is not getting better. Can this damage Jonathon's hearing? Dr. ENT says to me: Well it is not getting worse. It is not staying the same. It is improving some. So I don't see any reason why you can't wait 2 more months and see what happens or have the surgery now. But if he isn't better by July, then definitely he needs the surgery. By now I was really wishing I had brought another adult with me. I questioned him about my concerns with him having tubes put in(my godson had a horrible experience). He of course answered me, but not to my liking. So I made an appointment for July and they gave me all the paperwork to fill out for surgery if we decided to have the surgery now.
Of course Gilbert was sick last night so even though we discussed a little bit about it we didn't resolve anything. I am really at a loss and not sure which way to go. I really do not think we are going to see a major change over the next 2 months on the tympanogram. Do we make Jonathon suffer for 2 more months or do we just get the surgery done now?
In case you do not know, when you have fluid in your ear;it is like getting water in your ear and you shake your head or pull on your ear and it gets better. Well Jonathon is stuck like this since January.
I am beginning to think that maybe this is why he is not a full walker yet. Equilibruim is off. Which is not fair to him. I wish I could take the fluid and take all these sinus infections from him. Really really heartbreaking to see him sick all the time.(I HATE it)
Talked to my sis a little while ago and she told me to get a second opinion. She went with me to the first ENT appointment back in March. She too said that she did not care for the doctor then.
I do agree, I think I need a second opinion. I do know something has to be done. I just don't care for the way that Jonathon has been treated and he leaves me uneasy. I have seen many doctors since 2007 for Jonathon and this is the first one I have come across that I am just not Happy with. I think I will take my sisters advice and see if our insurance will cover a second opinion.
My advice would be to just do it. Its not a bad surgery at all. Jax has failed all of his hearing tests, when they put the tubes in we finally got an accurate hearing test. I know you don't like the doctor,so I would find one you like, but I do think tubes would be good for him. I I would say tonsils out with the adnoids. We were going to do just his adnoids. But downs kids very commonly have apnea and stuff from tonsils, so just take them out while your already in there. One recovery.
ReplyDeleteWe did it with Aiden and it was a simple procedure which he got to go home that same day. Since having the tubes in, he hasn't had any ear infections and there is no drainage either.
ReplyDeleteAnd his ENT opted to do both the tubes and adenoids at the same time