Some people may say that the result of Jonathon's eye exam has to do with him having down syndrome. Okay, maybe ~ maybe not.
Some things in life happen because of hereditary reasons too. Sometimes I wish people would take that into consideration before just assuming it's because he has an extra chromosome. (yes I do get irritated at times).
When my husband was a little boy (he thinks 3) he had to get glasses. He has a lazy eye and he is far sighted. He has worn glasses his whole life.
So when Dr. Eyes told me Jonathon's diagnosis I was shocked. ( farsighted and a slight lazy eye) Yes I know now and have always known with my 2 older boys that it has been a possibility of wearing glasses because their father does. But I was not expecting Jonathon's results to be just that. I was overwhelmed!
Dr. Eyes explained that because we are starting glasses out at such an early age, there is a good possibility that Jonathon will outgrow his eye glasses(his prescription will get better over time) and eventually not have to wear them. Just a possibility ~ not a promise.
When we went over to Children's Eye Clinic ~ which is right across the hall~ I started getting a little nervous. The Optician explained to me that neither of Jonathon's insurances were approved through her. If we wanted to use her we would have to pay out of pocket. She told me to call my insurance company and see if they will reimburse us some of the cost.
We definitely stayed at the Children's Eye Clinic ~ my sons eyes are not something I am willing to compromise. He needs the best care. Soooo we pay out of pocket and hope we can get reimbursed somehow/somewhere.
This was very stressful for me ~ my baby is going to wear glasses ~ there are 2 different kinds to pick from ~ my husband is not at this appointment with me ~ how are we going to pay for glasses ~ I had to step out of the room and call Gilbert to come right away ~ luckily he works about 15 minutes away from where we were ~ I then took Jonathon to the restroom and just broke down~ I cried for my little boy whom I just want to have a happy healthy life that now has to endure the pain (annoyance) of wearing glasses~ I cried because I don't want my baby to wear glasses ~ I cried for the fear of him being picked on for wearing glasses ~ I cried for the days ahead that he is going to fight me to keep glasses on his face ALL day long ~ I cried because I just don't want any of this!
I did regroup/calm down ~ I let Jonathon go potty and then we went out into the hall to wait for daddy ~ by the time Gilbert arrived I was composed enough to continue ~ I did not tell Gilbert I had a meltdown ~ he wouldn't understand anyway ~ we went back into Children's Eye Clinic ~ we picked out glasses for Jonathon ~ which I don't like ~ we put a deposit down on the glasses ~ we will receive a phone call next week when they come in. (WHOOPIE) NOT
We have a good warranty on the glasses ~ we get 3 breakage/scratch/loss for no cost per year. That's pretty good. I won't say the price, but its over $200 and under $400. But it's a price I am willing to pay for my sons eyesight.
As I thought about writing this post and I as I sit here and write this post, I think/ask myself why? Why do you have the right to be upset over your son getting glasses when there are some children out there right now that have alot worse going on than glasses. A little boy who needs a trach ~ a little boy who has had multiple heart surgeries ~ a little girl who just had major brain surgery ~ a little boy who will never walk a day in his life and more. I feel like I am being selfish in some ways, but my only answer to WHY? is because this "IS" my life, this is "MY" story and to "ME" this is my newest devastation!
Day 8 of 31 for 21
No comments:
Post a Comment